In India, people are generally unaware of the opportunities available in the physiotherapy field and hence become reluctant in choosing physiotherapy as a career. Physiotherapy is the science of treating illnesses and disabilities caused by birth, trauma, or other physiological causes in the body. Physiotherapists perform assessments and treatment by using physical techniques such as preventive measures, exercise, mobilization, manipulation, body awareness, and electrotherapeutic modalities like Trans-cutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), Ultrasound, interferential therapy, in treating pain and promoting joint function and mobility.
People are becoming more aware of the benefits of physiotherapy. The positive outcome from the treatment session is making people seek out physiotherapy for their wellbeing. They now consult with physiotherapists before embarking on outdoor recreational activities or participating in sports since physiotherapists can help with not only the treatment of existing disabilities but also the improvement of normal activities via increased fitness and preparedness for any stress or tragedy.
Role of Physiotherapy in Healthcare
Physiotherapy is an important part of the branch of healthcare. It offers several health benefits, thereby helping an individual to maintain their wellbeing by improving the level of physical activity. Physiotherapy helps relieve pain in many orthopedic conditions such as frozen shoulder, arthritis, muscle tear, sprains, and more by employing various modalities such as ultrasound, TENS, IFT, paraffin wax, and teaching them related exercises along by using several mobilization techniques to improve joint range of motion and strengthen the weaker muscles for the individual to carry out the daily living activities.
Another important role of a physiotherapist is in cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation. Depending on the individual’s condition the physiotherapists perform deep breathing exercises to improve lung volumes and Hands-on Techniques and Breathing Facilitation Exercises to expand your lung capacity. They also design tailored exercises to control the breathing pattern, build muscle strength and endurance, and improve your general health. Physiotherapy plays a vital role in treating asthma and other respiratory diseases, it guides breathing control techniques. Help in the removal of excess sputum and maintain a normal breathing pattern and prevent the occurrence of asthmatic attack.
They play a major role in sports-related injuries. Every game has a professional sports therapist on hand. On the pitch, physiotherapy assists athletes in giving their all to the game and in recovering from injuries. They guide about some simple exercises that stimulate the tissues and muscles of the injury for the restoration of complete physical movement before the injury level and gradually introduce various stretching and strengthening exercises with reduction of pain.
Physiotherapy is effective in treating diabetes by allowing the patient to achieve a healthy weight. Being obese or overweight is a major risk factor for diabetes, so many people who suffer from diabetes will also be at risk of other complications associated with being overweight. Exercising with a physiotherapist can help reduce the risk of further complications in other areas, as well as improve the overall quality of life for the patient.
Educational Requirement to become a Physiotherapist
Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are required for a Bachelor’s in Physiotherapy (BPT) at the plus two-level, with Maths as an optional course that may be useful in the future if one desires to specialize further. On an average, it takes 4.5 years to acquire a bachelor’s degree in physiotherapy.
If one wants to pursue a Masters in Physiotherapy (MPT), they are required to have a Bachelors in Physiotherapy (BPT) or any other subject related to Bioscience. In India, there are institutes that provide physiotherapy Ph.D. degrees as well.
All physiotherapists working in India are governed by the Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP). Students interested in pursuing a profession in physiotherapy can join this organization to receive all the updates.
Some points to note
- Must have received at least 50% in all subjects in class XII, including English.
- Some colleges also have an age limit as well (17 on 31st December of the year of admission).
- Diploma courses only qualify you for physiotherapy aid. A Bachelor’s Degree in Physiotherapy (BPT) is required to practice physiotherapy.
Some top Colleges in India offering Physiotherapy courses
Some top International Colleges offering Physiotherapy courses
Some Career Options
- Orthopedics - They specialize in the care of patients who are undergoing surgery. Patients who have been admitted to the hospital because of a traumatic accident or occurrence are also treated by them.
- Neuro sciences - Physiotherapy is required for a variety of neurological conditions. Lesions in the nervous system, (brain, spinal cord, or peripheral nerves) can occur for a variety of reasons, including trauma, infections, congenital malformations
- Cardiopulmonary - Patients with COPD, including bronchial asthma, post-CABG (heart transplant surgery), pneumonia, and other surgical situations, such as kidney transplant, require physiotherapy to rebuild cardiac strength and achieve functional independence.
- Mental Health - They provide skilled, accessible, and fair rehabilitation treatments to in-patients with mental diseases.
- Pediatrics - They work with children and have the necessary skills and knowledge to provide adequate care and education while encouraging family participation.
- Intensive Care - The ICU’s two main areas are respiratory and rehabilitation. Patients with abundant sputum are helped by respiratory physiotherapists. Physiotherapists who specialize in rehabilitation play an important role in maintaining and developing muscular strength and joint mobility.
- Geriatric Medicine - They offer a variety of services on an individual basis, assessing their physical abilities. They create tailored fitness, education, and wellness programs for them. They also collaborate with other medical professionals to organize the patient’s care.
The demand for physiotherapists is increasing, and as more people become aware of the profession, it will gain more respect and exposure in India.
To increase more awareness and opportunities about physiotherapy we have come up with Bornphysio.
Bornphysio is a platform to connect all the physiotherapists in the world. On this platform, you can receive guidance on your career path that will help you to find a dream job and allow you to upskill yourself at the same time. It is a community to connect with fellow verified physiotherapists and enhance your career growth. Join Bornphysio for better exposure!